Thursday 25 June 2015

Hong Kong June 2015 - Day 4

Woke up and as usual, it's raining. On our food itinerary we are having breakfast at a famous dim sum store named Dim Dim Sum. Just Google it and you can see how famous it is. Even Anthony Bourdain eat there when he went to Hong Kong!

 photo 20150625_094914_zps6lq70h3a.jpg

Haha.. Same, the place is just a few minutes walking distance from our hotel, so we braved the rain and headed out for breakfast. Funny how we have food and restaurants within the hotel but nooo.. we rather walk in the rain to go find food. When we got there it was not opened! WTF? Did I screw up and came at their off day?

 photo 20150625_094902_zpsspzq2iqt.jpg

Thankfully it's just that they open at 10am and we were 15mins early. So we ended up being the 1st customers there! Hey hey! The food turned out to be pretty good.

 photo 20150625_101714_zpsm6jawpuv.jpg

 photo 20150625_101731_zps3qkudtnz.jpg

The mini polo buns have REAL chunks of polo (菠萝 - means pineapple btw) in it!

 photo 2015-06-25 10.09.54_zpsbq2mqiye.jpg

 photo 20150625_101604_zpsjqkbkfcf.jpg

Crispy and fluffy on the outside, sweet and delicious on the inside! I also like their 金沙肥豬仔 Piggy Custard Buns which is the 流沙包 that's quite popular in Singapore too.

 photo 20150625_102539_zps07mq7wsr.jpg

 photo 20150625_102813_zpszvkgszhp.jpg

I've never tried that before so for my 1st experience, I thought it tasted pretty good. Cobby and the kids don't like the salty gritty taste, so I practically ate all three buns. The carrot cake and steamed chicken feet were also quite good, the rest, not very impressive leh.

 photo 20150625_102309_zpsjzvyzit5.jpg

Maybe we didn't order the right dishes. After the late breakfast we headed back to the hotel and chill out. Jay took a afternoon nap while Jo does some revision. I know, I just want her to brain working during the holidays.. When Jay woke up from his nap we headed out to Causeway Bay. We want to eat at a food centre tonight and there's one near there, so we planned to jalan jalan abit there before going for dinner. Finally it stopped raining and we decided to go hang out inside a shopping centre. -_- Great planning.

Causeway Bay is kind of like Orchard Road? With many shopping centres big and small all around. We never go there cause we were not shopping people. Whenever I go Hong Kong I rather shop at the streets. But I guess it's nice to hang out inside air conditioned buildings, window shopping and having drinks and snacks at cafes. We even bought loads of stuff from 奇華 for colleagues and family. I love this new gift set!

 photo 20150629_155917_zps9dnrscqv.jpg

It's got a few pieces each of their popular items from the store in the gift pack! Awesome!

 photo 20150629_160251_zps3bnfvjvv.jpg

Just walking around blindly in one of the biggest shopping centres there, Hysan Place and we hit the jackpot! There was a bookstore, eslite, that took up 3 storeys! I could so see myself hanging out there on weekends if I live in Hong Kong! Bought myself a bread maker machine recipe book. Happy :) When we left it was getting dark and all the billboard lights were on. Plus it was after office hours so there were hoards of people everywhere! All the sights and sounds, I felt like my brain was bombarded with stimulus everywhere!



The Bowrington Road Market and Cooked Food Centre was just walking distance away from the shopping area and we got to see the transition from fancy shopping centres to local sights such as the evening wet markets and small neighborhood shops.

 photo map1_zpshrgz79en.jpg

 photo 20150625_174817_zpsywfwx9az.jpg

I really like that about Hong Kong. The hawker stalls in the food centres are actually dai pai dong 大牌当, but they have been moved into air conditioned food centres like these all over Hong Kong for the sake of hygiene and also comfort. Most people dining there are locals and the atmosphere is very relaxed but loud.

 photo 20150625_181507_zpscyoxnyhw.jpg

Staff are the usual no bullshit type of service and the food is your typical tze char cantonese cuisine. Not our best meal, but I do like their 咕噜肉 (Cantonese Style Sweet And Sour Pork). Their fish is strangely tough. Over cooked? Maybe. You win some you lose some.

 photo bowringtonfood_zpshovjqhyv.jpg

After dinner we headed back to the hotel. I was torn. I wanted to keep walking but worried that it's getting pass the kids's bedtime. Cobby convinced me that we should just go for it and stop worrying about bedtime. So we headed to my favourite shopping strip, 花园街 Garden Street! Strangely, the place is very sparse, very quiet. Not the usual bustling shopping strip I remember it to be? We didn't get much, just some cute t-shirts for the kids and a gorgeous handphone cover for my phone! So far every nice cover I see were for iPhone 6, so I was really happy to finally found a cover for my Samsung Note 3!

 photo 20150625_211129_zpstexyuq6n.jpg


Still kicking myself abit for not going out to Ocean Park since the weather is so nice today, but we'll be doing that tomorrow, so hopefully the weather would hold up.

No comments:

Post a Comment